The Peace Hall in Münster’s gothic town hall owes its name to the peace treaty between Spain and the Netherlands, which was concluded here under solemn oath on 15 May 1648.
The hall originally served as a council chamber, and its fine renaissance wood panelling dates from around 1577. The gallery of portraits, with its pictures of ambassadors, was purchased by the council in 1649. The furnishings of the Peace Hall, which were evacuated during the second world war, have been faithfully restored.
The European Heritage Label
In April 2015, the European Heritage Label has been awarded to the Town Halls of Münster and Osnabrück as the ‚Sites of the Peace of Westphalia‘ by the European Commission.
Closed Mondays, Tues-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat, Sun, public holidays 10am-4pm
(incl. guide with CD in various languages)
Adults 2,00 €
Pupils, students, unemployed, differently abled persons, seniors aged 65+ 1,50 €
Groups of ten and more: Adults 1,50 €, pupils/students 1,00 €
Guided tours only possible with Stadt Lupe Münster, StattReisen Münster and K3 Stadtführung organisations.
Münster Information is available to answer your queries from 10.00am-6pm Mon-Fri and from 10.00am-1pm Sat
A lift can be installed for wheelchairs by prior arrangement.
Friedenssaal im Historischen Rathaus
Two information signs for the blind: the history of the gothic town hall and the gable of the house located at Prinzipalmarkt 27 in Braille which can be felt.